Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Oh My Gosh, People

Alright. This post is pretty much just going to be a really long vent. So I don't know how many of you know about ESP, but apparently it's mind reading. Here is a website where someone claims to have made a computer program that can read your mind: http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/esp.html. Try it out. You think it's so freaky, right. 

Wrong. Here's what's actually going on. Here's a screenshot of the page where you pick a card.

Notice the cards you can select from: King of hearts, Jack of clubs, King of spades, Queen of diamonds, Queen of Clubs, and Jack of diamonds. 
Now look at a screenshot of the page where it claims to have removed the card you picked. 
Let's see what cards are shown. The King of diamonds, the Queen of spades, the Jack of hearts, the King of clubs, and the Queen of hearts. Hmm, let's compare that list to the list of those we originally had to pick from. Wow, the ESP machine removed ALL of them. No matter which card your originally picked, it's gone! How magical.

What really bothers me about this is the fact that there is a whole freaking page of testimonials of people who actually believe this worked (http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/esp4.html). I mean, it's not that hard to notice. I forwarded this page to about 20 of my friends without telling them it was a hoax and 16 of them got it the first time they saw it. It just really irks me (yes, I just said irks) that someone actually sat down to make a website to trick people. The dude has even published books about changing the past and tarot and idiotic things like that. 

So, being the loud-mouthed person that I am, I had to send this guy an email. Here's what I sent him:

Regarding your online ESP experiment: I do not know how you got all those testimonials about how 'wonderful' your ESP test is, but it does not take a genius to realize that none of the cards are the same. In the first slide, there are the following cards: King of Hearts, Jack of Clubs, King of Spades, Queen of Diamonds, Queen of Clubs, and Jack of Diamonds, in that order. After we are instructed to click an eye, we are lead to a slide with the following cards: Queen of Hearts, King of Clubs, Jack of Hearts, Queen of Spades, and King of Diamonds. As you can see, all of these cards are different than those on the first slide. No matter what card we selected or what eye we picked, we still got the same 'magical result'. 
In short, I would just like to say that you are not fooling anyone with your act. ESP does not exist and you need not make fake testimonials trying to persuade people it does.

Yeah, I kind of freaked on him and said he had fake testimonials and such.

Anyways, I hope you are all feeling great and wonderful! Peace, love, and truth, from my heart to yours.


Update: I will add another blog post if I ever get a response from that guy! Wish me luck!!!

2 comments: